REMAKE ORIGINALS RECIPES
Imam Bayildi Roasted Eggplant Pasta
This simple, pasta dish is my take on the Turkish eggplant dish, Imam Bayildi. A delicious baked eggplant dish of tomatoes, parsley, onion, garlic, and olive oil. It’s a great vegetarian dish packed with flavors that will awaken all your senses from sweet, sour, salty, bitter and umami. So, meat-lovers will enjoy this too!
This dish is perfect for lunch or dinner, served hot or cold.
SERVINGS: 4 | PREP: 5 MINS | TOTAL TIME: 20 MINS
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 tablespoon sugar
A small handful fresh flat-leaf parsley tops, chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic gloves, minced
1 small onion, thinly sliced, microwaved for 4 mins
1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, with oil, thinly sliced
1 ¼ cups canned diced tomatoes
3 medium Japanese eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 cups short-cut pasta
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente per package directions. Drain; set pasta aside.
- In a non-stick skillet, add eggplants; cook over medium high heat until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes, set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, garlic, onion, sugar, and salt; cook over medium heat until soft and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add sun-dried tomatoes and parsley; cook for 1 minute. Once, the mixture is well-combined add diced tomatoes, black pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper; stir well.
- Transfer eggplants to the large skillet with tomato sauce; mix well and simmer on medium heat until eggplants are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Once the eggplants are soft, add the cooked pasta to skillet; mix well and serve.